From: Ben Lutgens <blutgens@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] unable to boot from unpacked systree 20010421
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 20:40:18
1 On Tue, Apr 24, 2001 at 03:39:04AM +0200, nolon@×××.net wrote:
2 >Hi list
3 >I tried to install the sys tree on an spare partition /dev/hda3
4 >My configuration is as follows
5 >/dev/hda1 swap 150 MB
6 >/dev/hda2 other Linux 1500 MB
7 >/dev/hda3 gentoo 1500 MB
8
9 Sounds to me like you need to do the following from your current install
10
11 1: mkreiserfs /dev/hda3
12 2: mkdir /mnt/gentoo
13 3: mount /dev/hda3 /mnt/gentoo
14
15 4: tar xvfj sys.tbz2 -C /mnt/gentoo
16 5: chroot /mnt/gentoo
17
18 If one or any of these fail, mail us again with the exact error messafes.
21 >I was able to unpack the tbz2 file,but I had no luck to chroot
22 >to this partition.
23 >When I call chroot it says illegal instruction and nothing happens
24 >Anyway so I builded a kernel (2.4.3) and modified the entries on
25 >the bootdisk and also the rootdev with rdev.
26 >The problem still remains in sofar that the kernel is not able to find
27 >init, I also tried with the init option (init=/bin/bash) but no help. Then
28 >I made /dev/hda3 with ext2 ,again with all the necessary steps like
29 >fstab rdev etc.
30 >Ah yes I also tried to copy bash to hda3 but still no progress.
31 >The funny thing is, it did boot from the same floppydisk to my other
32 >partition (/dev/hda2) and that works.
33 >I'm a bit lost so maybe someone has any suggestions??
34 >
35 >My other system is greenfrog linux with devfs and glibc 2.1.3 gcc
36 >2.95.2 maybe there is some problem but I wouldn`t know what
37 >
38 >Thanks
39 >
41 >gentoo-dev mailing list