From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: Andreas Sturmlechner <asturm@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>, "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] */*: Mask Py2 only packages
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2020 18:29:35
1 On Wed, Jun 24, 2020 at 2:18 PM Andreas Sturmlechner <asturm@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > The lack of curiosity for one's own packages' python compatibility is not just
4 > a py27 isolated issue, it was a big problem with py36 -> py37 with so many
5 > devs simply not filing that necessary stabilisation.
6
7 That suggests that if you keep doing what you're doing, you're going
8 to keep hitting your head against the wall.
9
10 Right now in Gentoo there isn't really even a straightforward way for
11 a maintainer to cleanly obtain a list of all the packages they
12 maintain, let alone whether they use python v2.
13
14 Sure, you can use the portage API to find this info. However, that is
15 as easy to do for a list of all impacted packages in the tree with
16 their maintainers as for any individual maintainer to obtain this info
17 for their own packages.
18
19 I think that if you give the maintainers a bit more info, you'll find
20 them being more proactive about helping you out. Basically you would
21 be helping them help you.
22
23 Otherwise you're going to mask a bunch of packages and run into a
24 bunch of upset devs, and as a byproduct we create a bunch of upset
25 users.
26
27 There is no reason to mask a package only to unmask it a few days
28 later. Masks are a mechanism for deprecating packages so that users
29 take action. They're not a substitute for devs talking to each other.
32 Rich