From: Mark Dierolf <mark@×××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: removing dhcpcd from system???
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 19:04:28
1 This whole conversation has gotten out of hand. Step back and realize that a
2 massive portion of gentoo's userbase wants/needs dhcp. It's a big thing.
3
4 If you really want to *strip* gentoo, get rid of wget. WTF is wget doing in by
5 default??
6
7 The reason is, wget is needed by portage. For many users, dhcp is needed as
8 well. If I can't connect to the net, I can't emerge dhcpcd to get on the net.
9 Circular dependencies suck.
10
11 What about python?? I hate python!
12 fbset?? Framebuffers suck!
13 nano?? I fucking hate nano, it frustrates the hell out of me!
14 modutils?? I haven't used modules since 1998!
15 hdparm?? I don't even HAVE a hard disk on my PXEBOOT!
16 slocate?? I've never used the locate database, my telepathy tells me where
17 files are!
18
19 There is a usability/space tradeoff for all of this. IMO, let's remove
20 framebuffers, slocate, modutils, and hdparm from system, and THEN there might
21 be a good enough argument to seriously justify leaving out dhcpcd. For now,
22 this is a pitifully small thing which is waayyy too valuable to have around.
23
24 Is our goal just to be able to boot, or do we want to be able to boot and do
25 something?
26
27 At the very least, let's make it a USE flag that is on by default. That way,
28 all of the "hardcore" users can strip out that whopping 62k that dhcpcd and
29 all of it's related documentation take up by putting -dhcp in their
30 make.conf. I think it's ridiculous, but i'm an advocate of flexibility.
31
32 If we have 1000 use flags, 1000 more can't hurt, right?
33
34 Mark Dierolf