From: Lance Albertson <ramereth@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] ChangeLogs and rsync time
Date: Mon, 02 Jan 2006 17:28:48
1 Henrik Brix Andersen wrote:
2 > On Mon, Jan 02, 2006 at 05:37:48PM +0100, Francesco Riosa wrote:
3 >
4 >>Do you read every time the whole ChangeLog ?
5 >>
6 >>If not, generally, how much of it ?
9 > I often find myself grepping through the entire ChangeLog too see when
10 > and who introduced a particular change in an ebuild - but I normally
11 > do this in my CVS check-out.
12 >
13 > I'm also for telling the users to rsync exclude the ChangeLogs if they
14 > don't want them instead of getting rid of them or crippling them.
15
16 I don't think that's really a solution. That's just a way to minimize
17 what they get. If you really want to look at a solution, you should
18 reduce whats actually in the changelog. All the changelogs are in CVS,
19 and if someone wanted to go look back at any changes, they can either
20 look at viewcvs or (hopefully soon), grab it via anoncvs. I bet you >80%
21 of things in the changelogs are for things that are in the attic. I say
22 we need a way to either have echangelog (or another script) to clean out
23 changelog entries for things that are in the attic (and make sense to
24 take out). Maybe another option would be to remove any 'version bump'
25 type entries that are old as well.
26
27 I just don't see the point of keeping changelog entries for stuff that
28 isn't even viewable in the tree anymore. We have CVS, the record will be
29 there, lets use it. We can't cater to every user out there, but come up
30 with a solid solution that makes sense and still gives them some form of
31 ability to look back.
34 Lance Albertson <ramereth@g.o>
35 Gentoo Infrastructure | Operations Manager
36
37 ---
38 GPG Public Key: <http://www.ramereth.net/lance.asc>
39 Key fingerprint: 0423 92F3 544A 1282 5AB1 4D07 416F A15D 27F4 B742
40
41 ramereth/irc.freenode.net