From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: Google Apps Standard Edition @ gentoo.org
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 06:24:35
1 On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 11:11 PM, Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 31 March 2010 01:28:56 Alec Warner wrote:
3 >> Currently a number of developers have engaged Google Apps Team Edition
4 >> for gentoo.org.  However Team Edition does not come with gmail and a
5 >> subset of Team Edition users would like to host their gentoo.org mail
6 >> on gmail.
7 >> Activating Standard Edition is free and likely requires minimal
8 >> configuration on dev.gentoo.org to setup.  Standard Edition comes with
9 >> Google Docs, Google Calendar, Google Mail, Google Sites, Google Video,
10 >> and probably a bunch of other stuff we could turn on.
11 >
12 > i dont really know anything about these Google things you refer to.  could you
13 > provide URLs and/or some summary background ?
14
15 Well you know about calendar since you use it ;p
16
17 The corporate spiel is here.
18
19 http://www.google.com/apps/intl/en/group/index.html
22 > personally, i just created a dedicated gmail account and set my dev.g.o
23 > forward to that.  then i fetch the mail from gmail's pop interface.  how do
24 > these offerings provide anything over that sort of setup ?
25 > -mike
28 That requires giving gmail your pop password which not everyone likes.
29 In this setup you could use your d.g.o procmail to forward mail to
30 something like 'google-hosted.mail.gentoo.org' which would stuff it in
31 gentoo.org gmail account and you gentoo.org account could be your
32 d.g.o password, or something different.
33
34 -A
35
36 PS: I am affiliated with Google, but I don't get sales bonuses. This
37 thread is in response to a random request I received from another
38 developer.