From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Bug voting
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 2004 10:09:33
1 On Tuesday 27 July 2004 21:49, Kurt Lieber wrote:
2 > On Tue, Jul 27, 2004 at 12:54:49PM -0400 or thereabouts, Dylan Carlson
3 wrote:
4 > > I'm assuming there was some reason voting was turned off (since IIRC it's
5 > > on by default). If so I'm just curious what that reason is.
6 >
7 > No reason that I'm aware of why it was turned off. That said, I'm
8 > generally leery of enabling technology for technology's sake. So far, I
9 > haven't seen any indication of how this would be useful. Folks have said
10 > devs are free to use it or ignore it as they see fit. That doesn't seem
11 > (to me) like it's going to provide any sort of valuable, useful feedback to
12 > the team or the community beyond what we already get with CC lists.
13 >
14 > Plus, as someone else noted, our users are not exactly famous for being
15 > able to use bugzilla correctly in its current form (to be fair, most of the
16 > blame for this falls on bugzilla, which has a horrid UI imo).
17 >
18 > Basically, if the argument is, "well...it's there. Why *not* turn it on?"
19 > then I don't see that as being particularly compelling. It sounds like a
20 > solution in search of a problem.
21
22 Many of my packages (like openoffice) are plagued by subtle one of bugs. I
23 think that voting in this can be an indication on whether other people also
24 have this bug, or whether this user is the only one experiencing problems.
25 These bugs are particularly hard to fix, and I really like to know whether
26 other users have the same problems. (In many cases cc is a good indication).
27 Similarly for feature requests on my packages, I'd like to know if more than
28 one person is really waiting for the perl bindings on subversion.
29
30 Paul
33 Paul de Vrieze
34 Gentoo Developer