From: "Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn" <chithanh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Clarify the "as-is" license?
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2012 13:17:41
1 Ian Stakenvicius schrieb:
2 > IE: - -'as-is' would be the generic "as-is" statement -
3 > -'free-non-commercial' would be a "free/unrestricted for
4 > non-commercial use" statement - -'free-unrestricted' would be a
5 > statement of more or less public domain
6 >
7 > - -..etc...
8
9 Why not directly use the FSF freedoms:
10 The freedom to run the program, for any purpose (freedom 0).
11 The freedom to study how the program works, and change it so it does
12 your computing as you wish (freedom 1).
13 The freedom to redistribute copies so you can help your neighbor
14 (freedom 2).
15 The freedom to distribute copies of your modified versions to others
16 (freedom 3).
17
18 I think when combined appropriately, they nicely cover most of the
19 cases of current "as-is" packages.
20
21 > ..and then ebuilds can include the particular phrases that apply?
22 > ie, LICENSE="(as-is free-non-commercial)" , essentially an
23 > 'assemble-your-own-license' from the snippets.
24
25 We would maybe have to find a different operator for license
26 concatenation.
29 Best regards,
30 Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn