From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] system profiles, stackable profiles, virtuals, and dependencies
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 21:24:37
1 On Wed, 2004-07-21 at 13:59, Paul Varner wrote:
2 > Finally dependencies, since I have been writing and tinkering with
3 > ebuilds at what point do you stop adding dependencies to the ebuild. To
4 > be anal about it would be to add everything back to glibc. That is
5 > obviously not the case and the assumption that I've been making is that
6 > if it isn't in the system profile and it is required to build/run the
7 > package then it should be listed as a dependency. That was my reasoning
8 > for filing the above bug. As a system logger isn't required by the
9 > system profile and vixie-cron requires one to run, it should be listed
10 > as a runtime dependency. In this case, I was told politely that I was
11 > nuts since "There's no reason for vixie-cron to rdepend on
12 > virtual/logger". I obviously disagree with that assessment, which is
13 > why I'm asking the question. (Side note: I don't have a lot of
14 > heartburn with the bug report being rejected, although I do feel it is a
15 > valid bug or I wouldn't have submitted it. My opinion is that if it is
16 > not going to be addressed, the resolution should be WONTFIX instead of
17 > INVALID)
18
19 vixie-cron can run fine without any logger at all. I have actually
20 configured such a system, simply when playing around. What happens is
21 any messages are dumped to the console, which isn't very good, but
22 proves that there is no hard requirement for a logger.
25 Chris Gianelloni
26 Release Engineering QA Manager/Games Developer
27 Gentoo Linux
28
29 Is your power animal a penguin?