From: m1027 <m1027@××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New project: binhost
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 2021 12:08:39
1 dilfridge:
2
3 > Hi all,
4 >
5 > I'm announcing a new project here - "binhost"
6 >
7 > "The Gentoo Binhost project aims to provide readily installable, precompiled
8 > packages for a subset of configurations, via central binary package hosting.
9 > Currently we are still in the conceptual planning stage. "
10 >
11 > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Binhost
12 >
13 > If you're interested in helping out, feel free to add yourself on the wiki
14 > page.
15 >
16 > Note that I see actually *building* the packages not as the central point of
17 > the project (that could be e.g. a side effect of a tinderbox). I'm more
18 > concerned about
19 > * what configurations should we use
20 > * what portage features are still needed or need improvements (e.g. binpkg
21 > signing and verification)
22 > * how should hosting look like
23 > * and how we can test this on a limited scale before it goes "into production"
24 > * ...
25 >
26 > Comments, ideas, flamebaits? :D
27
28 What's with CFLAGS?
29
30 I haven't been working with pre-built binary packages yet. But I
31 imagine something flexible, between distant compiler and a server
32 keeping the binaries. For my cases, from Raspberry Pis up to AMD
33 Ryzens, I love to have this server to just receive the requests what
34 and how to compile and keep exactly the packages which are
35 requested so it can be distributed if requested again.
36
37 Thanks