From: Markos Chandras <hwoarang@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] robo-stable bugs
Date: Tue, 21 May 2013 19:52:38
1 On 21 May 2013 19:32, "Paweł Hajdan, Jr." <phajdan.jr@g.o> wrote:
2 > On 5/21/13 6:38 AM, Thomas Sachau wrote:
3 >> And if a maintainer is not responding within 30 days, you can ping him
4 >> or, without a response, try to get a different maintainer. Just assuming
5 >> that a stable request is ok without a maintainer response is really not
6 >> a good idea.
7 >
8 > Thomas, this effort is going on for over a year now (and has been
9 > discussed on gentoo-dev). If it's only now you've noticed, maybe the sky
10 > isn't falling after all.
11 >
12 > Note the criteria for the bugs to be filed:
13 >
14 > 1. No open bugs for the package.
15 > 2. No bugs (including closed) for that particular version of the package
16 > (so for example closing the stabilization bug will prevent it from being
17 > opened again; it also takes into account bugs closed with e.g. NEEDINFO,
18 > which can be real issues).
19 > 3. At least 30 days in tree.
20 > 4. No repoman errors when trying to stabilize it (so all deps already
21 > stable).
22 >
23 > Also, arch teams are responsible for at least shallow (compile) testing
24 > of the package, and ideally smoke testing on run and possibly testing
25 > with various USE flag combinations and reverse dependencies testing (the
26 > latter is a regular part of my stabilization workflow, and the script
27 > for that is part of the same suite that files bugs).
28 >
29 > Note that there is a tradeoff here: I really started the stabilizations
30 > after I've noticed how many bugs are fixed in ~arch that still affect
31 > stable, but the fixing version didn't get stabilized. This is the
32 > downside of an opt-in approach, since inactive maintainers are not going
33 > to opt-in.
34 >
35 > Finally, everyone from metadata.xml is CC-ed. There is no "trying a
36 > different maintainer" - all of them are there since day one.
37 >
38 > Please let me know if you still have concerns - ideally back them with
39 > data and actual cases showing problems (or scenarios that can reasonably
40 > be likely) instead of just saying it _might_ lead to breakages. Anything
41 > _might_ lead to breakages, including taking no action here and allowing
42 > bugs to be not fixed for stable. :)
43 >
44 > Paweł
48 I'd rather not see this process changes, because it has helped
49 bringing the stable tree up2date. However, given that *a few* people
50 don't like it, I suggest you don't file bugs for packages owned by
51 them.
54 Regards,
55 Markos Chandras - Gentoo Linux Developer
56 http://dev.gentoo.org/~hwoarang