From: George Shapovalov <george@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Portage Configurator
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 23:39:20
1 I would like to add a few comments to what has been said by Thomas.
2
3 On Thursday 25 July 2002 21:06, Thomas Beaudry wrote:
4 > >1) I can do this? Since you're the developers I think I
5 > >should ask first :-)
6 > to the distro. Also, they may already be working on
7 > something that you could help with, so it is still good to
8 Yes, that would be the most important issue :).
9 Well, I cannot easily answer if anybody is doing what you intend to, because I
10 did not completely understand what kind of configurator you are talking
11 about:
12 1. Do you want to create a gui configurator for make.conf (say to set USE
13 flags, and other values)?
14 Then the answer is - partially yes. Please take a look at bugs #2748 & #2846.
15 Please also take a look at the tools available in gentoolkit. You will
16 probably want as well to do a search on bugs.gentoo.org for certain keywords
17 that would make sence to you.
18
19 Do you want to create a gui wrapper for emerge?
20 Try looking in your portage tree for what's available. kportagemaster comes to
21 mind. One of the tools in those two bugs I mentioned above is also somewhat
22 relevant.
23
24 Generally, if you could formulate the concept of the tool you are looking
25 into, that would help to identify related projects. Then you would probably
26 want to post this description/proposal here *and* create a new bug describing
27 what you intend to do and proposing your help. Also, for a real-time chat
28 with core devs you can always get us on channel #gentoo at
29 irc.openprojects.net.
30
31 And great thanks for taking your time to make gentoo even better!
32
33 George