From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@×××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] EAPI 1 (Was: Re: Monthly Gentoo Council Reminder for April)
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 15:32:02
1 On Fri, 13 Apr 2007 10:53:38 -0400
2 Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o> wrote:
3 > > It masks all kinds of programming screwups. doblah should make a
4 > > blah, not make a blah and possibly make a directory.
5 >
6 > name one
7
8 dosym's old behaviour prevented a broken Vim release (upstream screwed
9 up a Makefile dependency) from getting into the tree unnoticed. Had
10 that happened after you changed some (but not all) of the do*
11 utilities, the duff symlinks would probably have gone unnoticed for a
12 while.
13
14 > you're proposing we suddenly bloat all of our src_install functions
15 > for no gain at all ... sounds like a no brainer to me
16
17 No, I'm proposing that functions not have strange side effects.
18
19 > > > > * src_test always called except if RESTRICT=test
20 > > >
21 > > > I don't think this would fit into EAPI, to me it's an
22 > > > implementation detail of the package manager, or why should the
23 > > > ebuild care about it?
24 > >
25 > > It's the best way of ensuring that ebuilds have a working src_test.
26 > > Arch teams need this.
27 >
28 > then arch teams can update their profiles
29
30 Well no, they can't, because there are a whole load of ebuilds that
31 will break if they do that. But if it's introduced as mandatory
32 (barring ebuilds RESTRICTing it) for EAPI 1, the tree will slowly move
33 towards everything that reasonably can do having working test suites,
34 which will be a huge step forward for QA.
37 Ciaran McCreesh