From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] preference concerns over
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 08:45:09
2 > I am not a developer, but I was mildly surprised and pleased that MTA's
3 > on Gentoo "understand" what other packages are installed and get
4 > configured appropriately -- example, qmail will act differently if the
5 > qmail-queue (is that the right name?) and a virus scanner are
6 > installed...
7 >
8 > In other words, "it just works".
9 >
10 > I don't know if this type of customization is the type of thing you guys
11 > are discussing, but a default qmail build certainly has to be configured
12 > quite differently to get features like this to work from "raw source"
13 > builds.
14
15 This is one of the things I think we are discussing. Some people don't
16 like this for certain reasons. I think we should accomodate those people
17 by allowing them to turn this of without them needing to edit the ebuild
18 or interfering with the build process.
21 > Personally I like that Gentoo's package maintainers for tools like this
22 > made my life a little easier in this sense, but if you're going for a
23 > more "pure" source-only distro, you'd have to drop things like this as
24 > well.
27 I want to accomodate both. I personally like the choices made by the
28 gentoo developers, but I think there are people who don't or are
29 principally against things being non-vanilla, and we might accomodate
30 them.
31
32 Paul
36 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list