From: Karl Trygve Kalleberg <karltk@×××××××.no>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Alien for gentoo?
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 11:24:05
1 On Tue, Sep 18, 2001 at 12:43:46PM +0300, Einar Karttunen wrote:
2 > Hello
3 >
4 > Has anyone thought about supporting alien
5 > (http://www.kitenet.net/programs/alien/)
6 > with gentoo? It would make thousands of
7 > packages avaiable immediately.
8
9 While there certainly are merits to this, and I am positive myself, it
10 does not make sense to start working on this before several more critical
11 things have settled.
12
13 We need to decide how our user-group setup should be, how our directory
14 structure should be (there have been serious discussions about dropping
15 /opt for kde and gnome, and just use opt for commercial, binary stuff like
16 opera, netscape, acroread, java, etc), the initscripts (which may have
17 settled now, but there has been a major rewrite here as well), and some
18 other fairly central issues.
19
20 Do you (or anybody else) have experience with alien except (ab)using it
21 for, say, Debian ?
22
23 Kind regards,
24