From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: location of portage tree
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 09:55:12
1 On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 2:26 AM, Kent Fredric <kentfredric@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 29 March 2012 08:21, Aaron W. Swenson <titanofold@g.o> wrote:
6 >> 'Support' is the keyword here. The repositories are regenerated given
7 >> machinesan 'emerge --sync' and can be considered as temporary as the
8 >> packages themselves are impermanent. Further, the repository isn't
9 >> required to persist. If somebody really wanted to be hard on our
10 >> infrastructure, they could do an 'emerge --sync' at boot to repopulate
11 >> /var/cache/gentoo-repos/.
14 > Though of course, if anybody has custom stuff in say, /usr/portage/local/
15 > which they make by hand, nuking /usr/portage will make you *Very* unpopular.
16 >
17 > As will I be if I have /usr/portage/distfiles under /usr/portage/  and you
18 > nuke /usr/portage including distfiles.
19 >
20 > I could download distfiles again, but sorry, bandwidth is not free in every
21 > country, and neither is the time wasted by redownloading it all.
22
23 Zac's migration plan doesn't involve moving data at all, merely
24 changing the default for new installs. I think this is a pretty simple
25 migration plan provided you are ok with it taking a decade. It will be
26 hard on doc writers who instead of getting to write /usr/portage
27 everywhere will likely have to write $PORTDIR or $(portageq env
28 PORTDIR) instead.
29
30 -A
34 > --