From: Faust Tanasescu <faust_tanasescu@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFP: System to account users configurations
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2002 19:02:21
1 I'm thinking of lots of glue, a perl script for client and https server on
2 gentoo.org to allow SSL (secure socket layer) communication between
3 client/server. It's a fresh approach to solve just this problem... Well
4 fresh is relative here ;)
5
6 Here's a link
7 http://developer.netscape.com/docs/manuals/security/sslin/contents.htm
11 >From: Rufiao <rufiao@×××.net>
12 >Reply-To: gentoo-dev@g.o
13 >To: gentoo-dev@g.o
14 >Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFP: System to account users configurations
15 >Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2002 20:11:37 -0300
18 >The abuse of this kind of system should be taken into account, since it may
19 >be quite easy for someone to create a bot (or whatever) capable of feeding
20 >the system with fake data, and by consequence destroy its reputation.
21 >
22 >However, I agree this issue should not complicate the system setup. There
23 >are problems with the approach I've described, in particular for users who
24 >maintain more than a couple of Gentoo boxes (it may be inconvenient even
25 >for people who run more than one machine, due to the fact it's necessary to
26 >have one key per machine).
27 >
28 >Debian's popularity-contest uses SMTP as its transport, both to avoid the
29 >need for constant internet connection and to have some means to ensure the
30 >identity of every contributing machine. I'm not sure SMTP can help on the
31 >identification of users at all, and it may complicate the setup even more
32 >for users who don't have local MTA spools set (and which want to
33 >participate but don't have constant connectivity), so I've discarded it.
34 >
35 >Also, using the machine's IP addresses as a measure of abuse (by
36 >investigating how many posts occur for a given address) may lead to bad
37 >results, since some users have more than one machine under a 1:n NAT.
38 >
39 >In the end, it may be better to simply avoid the signup, and use some
40 >'loose' approach, which is to ask the user's e-mail to be used just in the
41 >case of abuse detection (of course a 'bad' user could provide a fake e-mail
42 >address, but in this case, after the detection of abuse and a unsucessful
43 >attempt to contact the user, all his provided data can be set to be
44 >automatically rejected by the server-side system).
45 >
46 >But it may happen there's a better approach for this whole problem.. Any
47 >thoughts?
48 >
49 >On Sun, 16 Jun 2002 17:12:52 -0400