From: Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: pinkbyte@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: stabilization policies
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2013 10:30:01
1 On Wed, 21 Aug 2013 13:42:56 +0400
2 Sergey Popov <pinkbyte@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > So it is definitely NOT 7 weeks
5
6 Let me clarify this again, our last stable kernel is from 7 weeks ago.
7
8 > 21.08.2013 13:28, Tom Wijsman пишет:
9 > > That is 3.10.7, not 3.10; please look into how kernel releases work,
10 > > minor releases are merely a small number of "backported" "known"
11 > > fixes.
12 > >
13 > > What you propose, waiting 30 days for a minor; simply doesn't work
14 > > when there are one to two minors a week, it puts us even more
15 > > behind...
18 > We considered stabilizing package relying on it's version.
19
20 We consider that as well, and for all the past releases it worked out.
21
22 > Policy says that we should wait reasonable amount of time, no matter
23 > which version it is.
24
25 It does not state anything about versions in the policy, AFAIK; please
26 refer me to it, and also note that on top of that we have the permission
27 from the arch teams to auto stable minor releases when necessary.
28
29 > And yes, minor release MAY bring breakages, do not tell me that they
30 > are not, i hit such breakages at least 4 times for kernel(no matter
31 > gentoo or vanilla, so problem is NOT genpatches) for past 5 years.
32
33 If you run ~, a breakage that you and some others experience less than
34 once a year is to be expected; so, what you state here does not reflect
35 our way of stabilization. In most of the cases, a later minor is better.
36
37 > And do you really want to stabilize EVERY minor release of some
38 > upstream stable branch? Maybe you want to bring some stable well
39 > tested version for some period and let unstable users choose another
40 > if they want to? And then - jump to next stable branch.
41
42 No, what you propose is what we have been doing for a long while.
43
44 > As i said early - it is not. Kernel team may have different policies
45 > on stabilization, that's OK IMO, but do not bend facts. This is
46 > release, and it should be considered as release, no matter minor or
47 > major. And stabilizations counts from it, not from 3.10.0. Following
48 > your logic i can say that KDE 4 is major release, and 4.1, 4.2 etc
49 > are "minor". They are not.
50
51 Okay, then feel free to propose which versions we should pick for
52 stabilization? At which times? As you will see, it doesn't work out...
53
54 The kernel releases are not to be confused with that of another
55 package; if I take a look at KDE's 4.1 announcement [1] I see that it
56 is a "feature release", which is not what a minor kernel release does.
57
58 [1]: http://www.kde.org/announcements/4.1/
59
60 > >> If some open-source modules with active upstreams, included in
61 > >> portage, do not support yet 3.10.* which will lead to unbootable
62 > >> system for some stable users - what you should say? "Oops, sorry,
63 > >> guys?" That's not how stable should work.
64 > >
65 > > That's how it has always worked, we do not see a need to change
66 > > this.
67 >
68 > No it is not. We considered such things as serious flaws. At least - i
69 > consider.
70
71 So do I, but why should it block stabilization?
72
73 Why do the stability and security of other users have to suffer by that?
74
75 There are other ways to deal with this:
76
77 - Keep nvidia-drivers unstable, though they likely don't want to.
78
79 - Clearly state that they don't work together, users should read that;
80 but well, do we really want to account for the users that don't read?
81
82 - Dep block the packages, *ugh*, let's not do this if we don't need to.
83
84 - ...
85
86 > >> And as for security stabilization, if you
87 > >> say that version bump BRINGS security fixes, you KNOW what they
88 > >> are, and you do NOT file a security bug about old stable(and now -
89 > >> vulnerable!) kernel on Gentoo bugzilla, then current stabilization
90 > >> bug has no relation to security(as Gentoo Security team does not
91 > >> know about security problems), period.
92 > >
93 > > Actually, those are constantly filed by ago; please look at the
94 > > picture first before you describe it, because you are drawing
95 > > assumptions here.
98 > I do not see any dependant bugs in your current stable request, but
99 > you keep telling me about security, so i do not drawing any
100 > assumptions - it is not security stabilization in terms of
101 > Gentoo (probably it becomes so if you can find apropriate security
102 > flaws).
103
104 You do draw assumptions, because you don't take a look; please do:
105
106 https://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?quicksearch=assignee%3Asecurity%40gentoo.org%20CC%3Akernel%40gentoo.org
107
108 Sort by "Changed" such that the newest appear on top.
111 With kind regards,
112
113 Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
114 Gentoo Developer
115
116 E-mail address : TomWij@g.o
117 GPG Public Key : 6D34E57D
118 GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2 ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D