From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Issues regarding glep-55 (Was: [gentoo-council] Re: Preliminary Meeting-Topics for 12 February 2009)
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 22:14:16
1 On Tue, 24 Feb 2009 22:11:47 +0000
2 Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o> wrote:
3 > > Except that once we have EAPI in the file extension, we can change
4 > > anything we want in arbitrary ways without having to worry about
5 > > backwards compatibility, so we won't need silly hacks.
6 >
7 > Your response amounts to empty assertions. Never is a long time.
8 > It reminds me of a similar assertion that "640kB [of RAM] will be
9 > enough for anyone".
10
11 Er, no. Think about it. If EAPI is in file extension, the only concern
12 for backwards compatibility is not reusing an existing valid extension.
13 All we have to do is use a new EAPI value, and then we can change
14 whatever we like because non-supporting package managers will ignore it.
17 Ciaran McCreesh