From: Allen Parker <allenp@×××.org>
To: 'Ciaran McCreesh' <ciaranm@g.o>, gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-dev] suggestion: virtual/telnet
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2003 03:27:51
1 > -----Original Message-----
2 > From: Ciaran McCreesh [mailto:ciaranm@g.o]
3 > Sent: Saturday, December 27, 2003 6:06 PM
4 > To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
5 > Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] suggestion: virtual/telnet
6 >
7 > On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 23:03:23 +0100 Spider <spider@g.o> wrote:
8 > | Well,
9 > | this is something that a lot of users ask about (how do I get
10 > | telnet?)
11 >
12 > Wouldn't it be better to educate the users to get rid of that 'type in
13 > emerge telnet to install telnet' mentality?
14 >
15 > --
16 > Ciaran McCreesh
17 > Mail: ciaranm at gentoo.org
18 > Web: http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm
22 I must pipe up on this one. When a user asks for "telnet" they're usually
23 not aware of the security risks involved. (kinda makes me wonder why it's
24 installed by default on Debian :-\) Probably the best way to handle this is
25 to create a virtual/telnet and add a default package that when uninstalled
26 displays a basic readme saying telnet isn't secure and why, asks the user if
27 they still want to do it, and THEN after they've confirmed that they do in
28 fact want telnet, allow them to emerge whichever telnet they choose.
29
30 So, to re-state because I'm not even sure what I said up there:
31 Create package block-telnet that does as it's name implies, blocks the
32 virtual/telnet package so that no other telnetd/telnet client may be emerged
33 without removing it first.
34 Setup block-telnet to install something like /usr/share/doc/telnet-readme
35 (the contents of the same thing you read when you remove block-telnet) and
36 upon unmerge fire off a simple shell script that less's the same file
37 (hidden) that is telnet-readme with a yes/no choice saying are you sure you
38 wish to remove me?
39 Add block-telnet -> virtual/telnet as a virtual/telnet blocker by default
40 for all arch/stage/devel profiles under system instead of world and make it
41 a default package (like nano) for Gentoo 2004.
42
43 It honestly seems to me that this would probably take any dev minutes to set
44 the virtual up this way and it would also allow very fast, short answers in
45 regards to getting questions on telnet:
46
47 Eg:
48 User: how do I install telnet?
49 Dev: emerge unmerge block-telnet ... and read what it says.
50 User: thanks for your help!
51
52 That's my 2/100ths of a monetary unit.
53 Allen Parker
54
55 PS: when used in this manner, it's hardly cruft.
59 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list