From: Jon Portnoy <avenj@g.o>
To: "Olivier Crête" <tester@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP 22: New "keyword" system to incorporate various userlands/kernels/archs
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 2004 19:20:48
1 On Tue, Mar 09, 2004 at 08:11:39PM +0100, Olivier Crête wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > Yes you are! That said we could always mark a specific ebuild -arch if
5 > it doesnt work there. I think such a system is the only way manage a
6 > large number of architectures. Debian might have many evils, but they
7 > support alternate architectures much better than we do. Have you tried
8 > installing gentoo on sparc recently without ~sparc (which breaks lots of
9 > stuff)? And not even mentionning stuff like ia64 or alpha... And its
10 > only going to get worse if we add more.
13 ia64 is unreleased and doesn't matter as far as installability goes
14 right now.
15
16 If something is wrong with sparc/alpha, it's an issue with those teams,
17 not with the keywords implementation. A keywords-style system means we
18 can have the best application for each arch on that arch; your suggested
19 system means that we'd be looking for consistency between versions
20 rather than attempting to make sure users get the most appropriate version. And
21 ask the Debian folks how well the "apps must work on each supported
22 platform" criteria is working out for them.
25 Jon Portnoy
26 avenj/irc.freenode.net
29 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list