From: "Kevin F. Quinn" <kevquinn@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New category: net-voip
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 12:54:42
1 On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 12:19:28 +0100
2 Stuart Herbert <stuart@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Kevin F. Quinn wrote:
5 > > An advantage to this approach is that package moves just become
6 > > aliases
7 > > - existing stuff doesn't break yet you get the new categorisation as
8 > > well.
9 >
10 > That's actually a disadvantage. The whole point of moving a package
11 > is to take it *out* of its existing category.
12
13 No, the point is to take it from a category where it's membership is
14 not so strong, to one where it is stronger. For exmaple, it's not that
15 net-im is the wrong place for skype, it's just that net-voip is in some
16 ways better. Where categorisation is clearly very wrong then it should
17 be moved as soon as possible (for example if skype had initially been
18 placed in www-apps) but that's an initial commit problem rather than
19 maintenance going forward.
20
21 > Just adding an alias
22 > into a second category makes the tree more of a mess - not less.
23
24 The alias, once setup, can be left alone forever. As far as any
25 further maintenance is concerned, it requires none. Even if the
26 package is moved again, the alias can still point to the second
27 location which becomes an alias for the final location. As far as
28 users are concerned, assuming aliases are resolved when being parsed,
29 they would see:
30
31 $ emerge -p net-im/skype
32
33 These are the packages that would be merged, in order:
34
35 Calculating dependencies... done!
36 [ebuild R ] net-voip/skype-1.3.0.30-r1
37
38 (where net-voip/skype is copied from net-im/skype, then net-im/skpe is
39 rewritten as an alias), which is clear and simple (it's hardly more
40 than what emerge does if you only give it the package name). Aliases
41 can be ignored when the category is not specified (unless we permit
42 aliasing with different package names, which I suggest we do not).
43
44 Similarly with 'emerge -s' - it would return the canonical CP.
47 The only "mess" is that we end up with the alias data in the tree
48 and that gradually accumulates. However it won't change once it's first
49 setup so won't incur any significant synchronisation overhead (beyond
50 the overhead for the actual move as done currently). I've mentioned the
51 <CP>/alias idea elsewhere, however that's not the only way to do it -
52 one simple method could be to have a simple text file (e.g.
53 ${PORTDIR}/profiles/alias) listing all the aliases. That's no mess at
54 all:
55
56 ---- example alias file contents
57 # Alias category/package Resident category
58 net-im/skype net-voip
59 ----
62 Kevin F. Quinn