From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] first council meeting
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 15:40:40
1 On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 15:01:13 +0200 Wernfried Haas <amne@g.o>
2 wrote:
3 | On Sun, Sep 18, 2005 at 01:32:32PM +0100, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
4 | > Uhm. That's current policy and has been current policy for several
5 | > years. No GLEP needed.
6 |
7 | If that's currenty policy, why does the handbook say something quite
8 | different then? Does it need to be fixed?
9
10 The deal with the handbook wording is... Originally, it was phrased
11 very much in favour of ~arch, and suggesting that arch was the
12 equivalent of Debian Stable. Many users who didn't know what they were
13 doing would use ~arch and then complain when they encountered the
14 occasional breakage. Certain developers complained, and the wording was
15 changed.
16
17 Here's the important part. What we tell the end user is not the same as
18 what we tell the developer. Users should not use ~arch unless they're
19 prepared to accept breakages. Developers should not put things into
20 ~arch if they think there's a significant chance of it breaking things.
21 That way, breakages will still sometimes occur in ~arch, and when they
22 do users don't get to complain too much.
25 Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Vim, Shell tools, Fluxbox, Cron)
26 Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
27 Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm