From: Matti Bickel <mabi@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] RFC: removal of virtual/php from depend.php
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 2010 22:10:01
1 Hi,
2
3 in concert with bug 319623 the php team would like to remove virtual/php
4 from the depend.php eclass. This will change DEPEND and RDEPEND strings
5 for quite some packages.
6
7 The basic idea is:
8 virtual/php is only provided by dev-lang/php and has been for quite some
9 time now. There are no plans to split php again. So all ebuilds that
10 need a PHP installation should just depend on dev-lang/php.
11
12 For convenience we still provide virtual/httpd-php, which will give you
13 php and a webserver able to display your php sites.
14
15 So we're replacing virtual/php with dev-lang/php in depend.php.
16 Question is: do we need depend.php-r1 for this? Did I miss some
17 important point about the change?
18
19 Yes, this eclass requires EAPI=2 and I will not commit the change to
20 this eclass until every ebuild using it has migrated. If that's not
21 feasible, I'll use depend.php-r1.
22
23 Patch attached. Thanks to Ole Markus With, it's actually his work and
24 I'm just helping fleshing out ideas and directions here.

01_fix_virtuals_in_depend.php.patch text/x-patch