From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: locations of binaries and separate /usr
Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2012 19:09:06
1 On Tue, Jan 03, 2012 at 01:50:25PM -0500, Olivier Crête wrote:
2 > I don't see what breakage would be caused by a big-bang update (move
3 > everything in /sbin,/bin/,usr/sbin to usr/bin and add symlinks. I really
4 > doubt any system has a /usr so tight that adding the couple things that
5 > are in / to /usr/bin would break it.. Btw, this also includes /lib*
6 > to /usr/lib*.
7
8 I think the best way to do this part of it is going to be to just follow
9 the upstream packages. When they release a new version that installs in
10 /usr, just allow that to happen. Eventually there will be very little in
11 /{bin,sbin,lib}, maybe nothing besides a couple of symbolic links like
12 /bin/sh.
13
14 I am not for what fedora is doing with the
15 /bin->/usr/bin, /sbin->/usr/sbin and /lib->/usr/lib symlinks.
16
17 William