From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: GLEP 19 -- Gentoo Stable Portage Tree
Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2004 20:59:41
1 On Monday 02 February 2004 18:26, Kurt Lieber wrote:
2 >
3 > I'll be interested to see what other folks say about that suggestion. I am
4 > personally opposed to it, but not for the same reasons that I think a lot
5 > of the other folks will be.
6 >
7 > I would hate to exclude certain key features of Gentoo Linux to those folks
8 > who can't/won't pay for them. I feel a stable tree is a key feature and
9 > charging for it would do more harm than good.
12 I agree with you and Jon on this, I don't think it would be wise to create
13 second class citizens.
14
15 Another worry would be actually alienating our sponsors. Currently much of our
16 infrastructure and all of our bandwidth is sponsored by third parties. Would
17 those third parties still want to sponsor us if we would charge for an
18 "enterprise" version of the distribution (thereby following into redhat's
19 footsteps (in the extreme))?
20
21 Paul
24 Paul de Vrieze