From: Steve Dibb <beandog@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New global use flag: vpx or vp8
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2010 20:02:34
1 On 07/31/2010 12:51 PM, Mike Frysinger wrote:
2 > On Saturday, July 31, 2010 14:27:14 Jacob Godserv wrote:
3 >> Honestly not sure what convention is for naming, but I found this
4 >> recently, and thought I might throw it out there:
5 >>
6 >> ~ $ euse -i lame
7 >> ....
8 >> [+ C ] lame - Prefer using LAME libraries for MP3 encoding support
9 >> ....
10 >>
11 >> While, as a user, I prefer this to be mp3, I also understand there may
12 >> be more than one library for such-and-so, so I'm willing to read up on
13 >> USE flags to find out which is the best to use. Overall, I would prefer
14 >> naming according to the names of the libraries they'll enable.
15 >
16 > that example isnt relevant. notice how the description includes the word
17 > "prefer" and isnt just "enable mp3 support".
18
19 The description is misleading, and needs to be changed. Just because
20 something has an mp3 and a lame use flag, it does not mean that flipping
21 on lame means that the application will prefer lame over mad or mpg123.
22
23 </nit>
24
25 Steve