From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Acquiring a deeper understanding of Gentoo
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 21:59:28
1 On Wed, 2005-06-15 at 17:38 -0400, Michael Cummings wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 15 June 2005 13:26, Dennis Allison wrote:
3 > > There is a learning curve, but on the whole gentoo is my distribution of
4 > > choice. You may find it helpful to do a stage3 installation before you
5 > > attempt a stage1 installation. Vanilla stage3 installations take much
6 > > less time and give you the opportunity to learn the process.
7 >
8 > (some of us not involved with catalyst type builds still start with stage3
9 > most times ;)
10
11 Those of us definitely involved with catalyst type builds always start
12 with a stage3, since it saves a lot of time and the end result is no
13 different once you've made your customizations and run an "emerge -e
14 world".
15
16 Besides, we spend enough time building from stage1 over and over and
17 over again for each release. Why do it again on our machines when we
18 install?
21 Chris Gianelloni
23 Games - Developer
24 Gentoo Linux