From: Thomas de Grenier de Latour <degrenier@×××××××××××.fr>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] status of http://wwwredesign.gentoo.org
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 12:07:29
1 On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 02:18:21 -0500
2 Curtis Napier <curtis119@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > I'm asking for everyone (developers and users alike) to please
5 > have a look at the updated site and send any feedback you may
6 > have.
7
8 Firefox-1.0.7 here, on a 1024x768 screen, and i think there is too
9 much wasted space. Since i'm not new to Gentoo, when i go to the
10 front page it's either to follow link to the doc or to read news.
11 The former is fine, but the later is not (news are the last ~10% of
12 what i see):
13 http://tdegreni.free.fr/gentoo/redesign_gentoo_org.png
14
15 I'm not good at HTML things so i can't send a patch, but I think the
16 vertical size of the information boxes on top should be only what
17 is needed for the text to fit, and not the background image size
18 or whatever else it is at the moment. And also, there should be
19 much less white space before the real contents starts. Modified in
20 Gimp, it would more looks like that:
21 http://tdegreni.free.fr/gentoo/redesign_gentoo_org_fixed.png
22
23 Oh, and also, i don't really like the "Get Gentoo and compile
24 software optimaly for your architecture" slogan. Not that it's
25 completly wrong, but my experience with new users on forums is that
26 those who came to Gentoo mainly for that reason are usualy
27 disapointed. I would rather see something about system
28 customization in general (i mean, not only CFLAGS but also USE
29 flag et al., which is much more interresting). Something like "Get
30 Gentoo and make your own « sur mesure » system.", but i don't know
31 how to translate "sur mesure" from french to english.
34 TGL.
37 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list