From: matt c <matt@×××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Replacing fdisk with cfdisk in
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 15:40:43
1 ----- Original Message -----
2 From: "Jon Portnoy" <avenj@g.o>
3 Sent: Tuesday, August 19, 2003 1:19 AM
4 Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Replacing fdisk with cfdisk in
5
6 > This has come up in the past; the verdict has always been that cfdisk
7 > lacks a few essential features and creates messier partition tables.
8 > Additionally, our fdisk instructions are verbose and informative enough
9 > that even total newbies have been able to figure it out (and probably
10 > learned something useful in the process).
11
12 I don't think it necessarily creates messier partition tables - it is just
13 much more sensitive to poorly created /messy partition tables - you might be
14 in the process of trying to fix a foobar'd table and cfdisk will shudder,
15 twitch, and die - fdisk will chug along merrily and let you do what you
16 wish.
17
18 The real issue is features - fdisk is not that much less "user friendly"
19 than cfdisk, and why include two partition programs when one is enough and
20 does the job? If someone wants it - let them emerge it.. ;-)
21
22 Matt
27 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list