From: Spider <spider@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] QA question wrg. GRP
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2004 18:25:46
1 begin quote
2 On Thu, 05 Feb 2004 07:59:37 -0500
3 Grant Goodyear <g2boojum@g.o> wrote:
4
5 > > Is it easier to understand the problem now, Grant?
6 >
7 > Much! Thank you, Spider, I really appreciate it.
8 >
9 > On a related note, that's not the only way that our handling of binary
10 >
11 > tbz2 packages is broken. Many of our ebuilds check to see exactly
12 > which
13 > version of a dependency is installed, and that invariably leads to
14 > binary packages being broken. For example, most python packages
15 > install stuff into /usr/lib/pythonX.Y/site-packages, with the ebuild
16 > detecting what X and Y should be. The binary, however, uses whichever
17 > values of X and Y were detected when the package was built, which may
18 > well be different than the values on the target machine. Of course,
19 > this problem is far wider than just python packages. Every ebuild
20 > that uses the has_version or a related function is probably broken in
21 > this sense.
22 >
23 > My guess is that the problem I just raised could be solved by adding a
24 >
25 > portage function that runs at install-time and can either relocate
26 > files or just cause the emerge to fail with a warning, whereas the
27 > general linking issue is going to require a great deal more thought.
30 Very true and another headache. It somehow feels that we need a
31 thinker on how to deal with this. Anyone here who feels exceptionally
32 bright this afternoon?
33
34 //Spider
35 -- dead tired
36 --
37 begin .signature
38 This is a .signature virus! Please copy me into your .signature!
40 end