From: Martin Vaeth <martin@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: don't rely on dynamic deps
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2014 14:25:54
1 Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o> wrote:
2 > Michael Palimaka <kensington@g.o> wrote:
3 >
4 >> What a great way to kill the distro.
5 >>
6 >> I can already heat my house with the number of unnecessary rebuilds
7 >
8 > Do you upgrade @world every hour and thus have it cause excessive heat?
9 >
10 > If I upgrade every X weeks they become much more cool and necessary...
11
12 One of the main advantages of gentoo is the flowing upgrade,
13 especially since this can only be very poorly emulated by
14 a binary distro.
15
16 If you really suggest that the user waits one month and
17 then recompiles the whole installation, you give up
18 this advantage of gentoo: The user is not up-to-date
19 for a long time, and moreover, then needs practically
20 a full reinstall; both are things which he wants to avoid
21 and why perhaps he has chosen gentoo in the first place.
22
23 At least, for me it is the case: if I have to reinstall
24 all packages every months - and even have delay in security
25 updates for a month - I will certainly switch the
26 distribution. I guess many others think similarly.