From: Krzysztof Pawlik <nelchael@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] package.mask-ed ebuilds
Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2010 09:54:40
1 On 04/09/10 08:10, Nirbheek Chauhan wrote:
2 > Hello!
3 >
4 > So, I can't find any documentation about this; nor can I find a
5 > best-practices list. Can we add broken ebuilds in-tree as long as they
6 > are package.masked? automagic deps, wrong deps, missing deps, file
7 > collisions, etc etc? Even if it makes the ebuild completely unusable
8 > by itself?
9 >
10 > If yes:
11 >
12 > So we can add completely broken and useless stuff to tree as long as
13 > it's package.masked?
14 >
15 > If no:
16 >
17 > What's the minimum amount of "working-ness" that an ebuild must have
18 > to be added to tree? Who decides this? The QA team?
19
20 Use common sense: if it's work in progress then committing a broken ebuild which
21 is p.masked is IMHO acceptable (especially if you need to bump/add more ebuilds
22 to get this one working). At the same time if you don't plan on improving it and
23 just want to get it committed somewhere - use overlay.
26 Krzysztof Pawlik <nelchael at gentoo.org> key id: 0xF6A80E46
27 desktop-misc, java, apache, ppc, vim, kernel, python...