From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Democracy: No silver bullet
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2006 13:04:14
1 Wernfried Haas <amne@g.o> posted
2 20060826101703.GA32678@×××××××××.rechner, excerpted below, on Sat, 26 Aug
3 2006 12:17:03 +0200:
4
5 >> Quit assuming I mean anything, you're batting zero for two right now.
6 >
7 > What's the problem? I wasn't sure how you meant it, so i assumed you
8 > meant it that way. As for batting zero for two, i never heard that
9 > phrase before and have nfc what it means, but somehow that whole
10 > statement doesn't seem very friendly to me.
11
12 It's an allusion to baseball. I'm /not/ a sports fan, but I do live in
13 the US, where baseball among others is popular sport and this phrase has
14 entered the popular culture from there.
15
16 The term "batting average" refers to a statistic in baseball, commonly
17 given as a three or four digit decimal fraction of one (Ty Cobb hit .3664
18 lifetime average, the record according to Wikipedia, with no pro player
19 hitting a seasonal .400 since 1941, see the reference below), that is the
20 ratio of actual hits to "at bats". "Batting zero" refers to the zero
21 (.000) baseline one gets if they have no hits.
22
23 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batting_(baseball)#Success_in_batting
24
25 "Batting X for Y" then refers to the number of hits (X) for a given number
26 of at-bats (Y) in a specific game or season.
27
28 Within the US culture, then, "batting zero for X", where X is an
29 increasingly large number, is a reference to a poor record of successes
30 against tries.
31
32 Google says there's 11,000 indexed English pages referencing "batting
33 zero":
34
35 http://www.google.com/search?lr=lang_en&q=%22batting+zero%22
36
37 ... altho only 141 referencing "batting zero for":
38
39 http://www.google.com/search?lr=lang_en&q=%22batting+zero+for%22
40
41 Taking a look at those will give you an idea of the usage, but here are a
42 three samples from the first page of returns on that 141:
43
44 * By my count, the Bush administration is batting zero-for-twenty.
45
46 * There was one stretch where I was batting zero for five on investment
47 banking jobs,
48
49 * Prior to this trip, United through Chicago was batting zero-for-ten (.000
50 for baseball fans) with regard to connecting me through O'Hare [airport]
51
52 That's the cultural context, then. It's simply saying you've tried twice
53 and failed twice. Yes, it's negative, unfortunately so given spyderous'
54 musings in the OP about useless flaming, but not unacceptably so in the
55 generic, particularly as zero for two isn't /so/ bad, compared to the
56 references above (0:3, 0:5, 0:20), or even compared to the original
57 baseball allusion, where 1/3 or .333 isn't all that shabby and you've yet
58 to take your third try.
59
60 You may however also wish to reference "strike out". A batter gets three
61 tries. The third strike without a hit and he's "out". (The following
62 reference redirects to "strike zone", but that covers it.)
63
64 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strike_(baseball)
65
66 Again, I'm not a sports fan, but sports are part of the "cultural
67 literacy" in much of the world, and baseball is one such sport here in the
68 US, so it's something we know even if we /aren't/ particularly interested
69 in it.
74 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
77 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list