From: Marc Schiffbauer <mschiff@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, binhost@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New project: binhost
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 2021 03:33:20
1 * Andreas K. Hüttel schrieb am 10.02.21 um 12:57 Uhr:
2 > Hi all,
3 >
4 > I'm announcing a new project here - "binhost"
5 >
6 > "The Gentoo Binhost project aims to provide readily installable, precompiled
7 > packages for a subset of configurations, via central binary package hosting.
8 > Currently we are still in the conceptual planning stage. "
9 >
10 > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Binhost
11 >
12 > If you're interested in helping out, feel free to add yourself on the wiki
13 > page.
14 >
15 > Note that I see actually *building* the packages not as the central point of
16 > the project (that could be e.g. a side effect of a tinderbox). I'm more
17 > concerned about
18 > * what configurations should we use
19 > * what portage features are still needed or need improvements (e.g. binpkg
20 > signing and verification)
21 > * how should hosting look like
22 > * and how we can test this on a limited scale before it goes "into production"
23 > * ...
24 >
25 > Comments, ideas, flamebaits? :D
26
27 I like the idea very much. Lets make Gentoo suck less energy ;-)
28
29 I have thought of some aspects in the past.
30
31 My idea was to maybe have an additional term: 'flavours'. A flavour
32 could be something like "most", "slim", "desktop" or "server" and each
33 flavour may specify a subset of USE-flags to be enabled for packages or
34 not.
35
36 That way people could propably make most out of a public binhost if the
37 choose one of the available flavours. That way you would not need to set
38 USE flags for any single package to match a packge available on a
39 binhost and a binhost does not need to have any combination of USE flags
40 for any package in order to be most effective.
41
42 With a flavour you could just express something like "I want the
43 Plasma-Desktop profile with most features enabled". Or "I want the
44 pasma-desktop as slim as possible". And we'd have some presets for that.
45
46 But before that, I think we'd need some features in portage that make
47 binpkgs trustworthy by adding signatures to the packages or at least to
48 the Metadata.
49
50 And Metadata should also be compressed or possibly be implemented in
51 some incremental kind so that you will not have to download all the
52 metadata everytime just because some random package changed that you do
53 not even have installed or want to install.
54
55 If I had more time I would definitely join the project. Maybe this is
56 the case in 2-3 years.
57
58 Cheers
59 -Marc
62 0xCA3E7BF67F979BE5 - F7FB 78F7 7CC3 79F6 DF07
63 6E9E CA3E 7BF6 7F97 9BE5