From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Actions of python team, especially Arfrever wrt python eclass and python-3*
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2010 05:53:52
1 On Sun, Jun 6, 2010 at 6:54 AM, Thomas Sachau <tommy@g.o> wrote:
2 > Am 06.06.2010 15:44, schrieb Arfrever Frehtes Taifersar Arahesis:
3 >> 2010-06-06 12:40:28 Thomas Sachau napisaƂ(a):
4 >>> Additionally, it should define the supported slots, something like this:
5 >>>
6 >>> SUPPORTED_RUBY_SLOTS="1.8 1.9" or
7 >>> SUPPORTED_PYTHON_SLOTS="2.5 2.6 3.0 3.1"
8 >>>
9 >>> Now the package manager should take those vars and convert them to some expanded USE vars like:
10 >>>
11 >>> RUBY_SLOTS="1.8 1.9" or
12 >>> PYTHON_SLOTS="2.5 2.6 3.0 3.1"
13 >>
14 >> We are already working on automatic generation of USE flags in python.eclass (in newer EAPIs).
17 > And why do you want to implement such code in every eclass?
18 >
19 > Whats wrong with implementing it on the package manager side once and reusing it for every
20 > eclass/ebuild, which needs such code?
21
22 I don't think arfrever thinks there is anything wrong. The main
23 problem with implementing things in a package manager is time. Why
24 have a big long discussion about something that takes years to agree
25 on, implement, and then get into an approved stable EAPI when you can
26 just stick things in your eclass and use them in a few weeks / months
27 (this can be read as a mockery of what was done; I'm not mocking.
28 Moving quickly is important in many cases and iteration of ideas and
29 schemes are good.)
30
31 I'm all for generalizing the current implementation where it makes
32 sense; but I'm kinda tired of people bashing it because its not
33 perfect; I don't think we can necessarily wait for 'perfectly
34 designed' things every time (no matter what many implementors think.)
35
36 -A
39 > --
40 > Thomas Sachau