From: nunojsilva@ist.utl.pt (Nuno J. Silva)
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: call for testers: udev predictable network interface names
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2013 17:41:35
1 On 2013-01-10, Daniel Campbell wrote:
2
3 > On 01/09/2013 04:13 PM, William Hubbs wrote:
4 >> All,
5 >>
6 >> as you probably know by now, udev-197 has hit the tree.
7 >>
8 >> This new version implements a new feature called predictable
9 >> network interface names [1], which I have currently turned off for
10 >> live systems, because it will require migration on the part of the
11 >> user.
12 >>
13 >> When you upgrade to this new version of udev, you will find a file
14 >> /etc/udev/rules.d/80-net-name-slot.rules on your system. It
15 >> currently has comments explaining what is happening.
16 >>
17 >> As long as this file is in place, this feature is not activated.
18 >> That is why there is not a news item. If you do nothing, nothing
19 >> changes.
20 >>
21 >> What I would like to do is find some people who are willing to
22 >> migrate and report any issues they find.
23 >>
24 >> I would like this to be the default for everyone at some point, so
25 >> I want to document the migration process and find out if there are
26 >> any bugs in tools because they expect the eth* names.
27 >>
28 >> Thoughts?
29 >>
30 >> William
31 >>
32 >> [1]
33 >> http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/PredictableNetworkInterfaceNames
36 > So long as users retain the choice of keeping eth* or wlan*, no
37 > complaints from me. I (and others) came to Gentoo to get away from
38 > systemd, and this smells of a systemd-ism. Will eudev be pursuing this
39 > as well?
40
41 This sounds like an udev feature, completely unrelated to systemd. It's
42 a bit hard for me to understand why do you even relate this to systemd,
43 when udev has done this kind of device name management for *ages*.
44
45 I mean, I think udev has been bundled with *persistent* rules for some
46 months now...
47
48 Playing with NIC device names is not something exclusive to udev, it has
49 always been fun with wireless drivers who roam between eth*, wlan*,
50 ath*...
53 Nuno Silva (aka njsg)
54 http://njsg.sdf-eu.org/