From: Joshua Kinard <kumba@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Let's redesign the entire filesystem!
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2012 12:41:36
1 On 03/14/2012 19:37, Greg KH wrote:
2
3 > On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 07:27:07PM -0400, Richard Yao wrote:
4 >>>> 3. Why not let the users choose where these directories go and support
5 >>>> both locations?
6 >>>
7 >>> Because a plethera of options is a sure way to make sure that half of
8 >>> them don't work over the long run.
9 >>>
10 >>> We aren't Debian here people, we don't support "everything" :)
11 >>
12 >> Gentoo provides far more options than Debian does, so this seems
13 >> somewhat contradictory to me.
14 >
15 > Not really, I don't think we support systems without udev anymore,
16 > right? And we get away with a lot of these different "options" at
17 > compile time, which makes it easier than what Debian has to handle, so
18 > perhaps it's not a fair comparison.
19
20 I already looked in the tree and nothing really stands out as a suitable
21 replacement for /dev management. mdev might, but it's part of busybox and
22 not standalone as far as I know (at least, we don't have an independent
23 package for it).
24
25 For my simplistic setups, I apparently only need udev just to setup the
26 networking interfaces, because Linux has never created /dev/lo or /dev/ethX
27 (nor does it even support them). Thus, CONFIG_DEVTMPFS can't set those up
28 at all. If I could find a small utility that was like udev and which took
29 care of that one little element, I think I'd be able to boot my systems up
30 just fine.
31
32 Is it futureproof? Not really. I imagine plugging USB mass storage devices
33 into a udevless system might be problematic. Food for thought.
36 Joshua Kinard
37 Gentoo/MIPS
38 kumba@g.o
39 4096R/D25D95E3 2011-03-28
40
41 "The past tempts us, the present confuses us, the future frightens us. And
42 our lives slip away, moment by moment, lost in that vast, terrible in-between."
43
44 --Emperor Turhan, Centauri Republic