From: Steven J Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: GLEP 55 updated
Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 15:08:51
1 Joe Peterson wrote:
2
3 > Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
4 >>> 3. "Extend versioning rules in an EAPI - for example, addition of the
5 >>> scm suffix - GLEP54 [1] or allowing more sensible version formats like
6 >>> 1-rc1, 1-alpha etc. to match upstream more closely."
7 >>> Apart from GLEP54, I believe our versioning scheme works reasonably
8 >>> well. I don't see any need to match upstream more closely. I'd rather
9 >>> like to keep the more uniform way of handling suffixes like rc and
10 >>> alpha, that we have now.
11 >>
12 >> Please explain why 1.2_rc3 is legal but 1.2-rc3 is not.
13 >
14 > I actually like the current format in that it does *not* allow "-" in
15 > the version. For example, pkg-2.3.1_rc5 makes it clear that the string
16 > from "2" to "rc5" is the version. If were were to allow pkg-2.3.1-rc5,
17 > this could get visually confusing (looks a bit like pkg-2.3.1-r5). In
18 > this case, *less* flexibility and more strict rules serve a good
19 > purpose, I think.
20 >
21 Agreed; the purpose of an internal format specification is not to allow
22 NN variants on a theme all over the place. It should nail things
23 down to ONE variant which everybody can collaborate around.
24
25 I missed the clamour of developers complaining about this oh-so-burdensome
26 restriction that they've been dealing with for at least 5 years. Until I see
27 that happening independently of this current hooha, I'm going to consider
28 this 'reason' to be yaf "straw man".
31 #friendly-coders -- We're friendly but we're not /that/ friendly ;-)