From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Stupid USE defaults that need cleaning
Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2005 22:31:28
1 On Mon, 26 Dec 2005 15:19:47 -0700 Lares Moreau
2 <lares.moreau@×××××.com> wrote:
3 | Is it feasible and or useful to have a 'meta-flag' that that enables
4 | all the 'necessary' USE flags for a given group of packages? So
5 | something like USE='meta-<flagname>'.
6
7 USE flags are for things that're optional, not things that are
8 necessary, so your request doesn't make sense.
9
10 If you mean "to avoid that icky built_with_use error", we're getting
11 foo[bar] deps soon anyway, so it's better to avoid polluting the tree
12 with even more nastiness.
13
14 Your other option... would be to revive GLEP 29. Be warned, however,
15 that in the form in which I left it, GLEP 29 doesn't solve many of the
16 problems that developers would expect a "USE flag grouping" GLEP to
17 solve. In particular, it doesn't provide anything that would help with
18 USE flag editing tools.
21 Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (I can kill you with my brain)
22 Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
23 Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm