From: Matthias Maier <tamiko@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] New USE_EXPAND: LLVM_TARGETS
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2016 00:02:46
1 On Sun, Sep 25, 2016, at 16:08 CDT, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > Hi,
4 >
5 > I'd like to introduce a new USE_EXPAND for LLVM & clang. It'd be named
6 > LLVM_TARGETS, and it's going to replace the current solution based on
7 > USE=multitarget & VIDEO_CARDS=radeon.
8 >
9 > In the old system, the following rules applied:
10 >
11 > - host (implicitly figured out by LLVM) and BPF targets were always
12 > built,
13 >
14 > - VIDEO_CARDS=radeon enabled additional R600 target,
15 >
16 > - USE=multitarget enabled all targets.
17 >
18 > In the new system, LLVM_TARGETS explicitly controls *all* targets
19 > built. To avoid dependency hell, the host target is package.use.forced
20 > in specific arch profiles. Additionally, the BPF target is on by
21 > default.
22
23 +1
24
25 We also avoid a very subtle abuse of the VIDEO_CARDS use expand with
26 it. So far, I had to explain a surprising amount of times that
27 VIDEO_CARDS=radeon for llvm does *not* mean that llvm magically uses
28 the GPU for compiling.
29
30 Best,
31 Matthias