From: Denis Shcherbakov <deniss@×××××××××.EDU>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] limiting memory and mathematica
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 2004 20:34:27
1 Sorry if this question is inappropriate for this forum, but I figure this
2 is where the experts are :)
3
4 I run Mathematica 5.0 on Gentoo Linux 1.4 (2.4.19-gentoo-r10 kernel) on a
5 dual-processor machine. I was wondering why my graphic applications came
6 to a screeching halt when I began running a computation in Mathematica,
7 and then when I looked at top, my jaw droped - MathKernel is using ALL of
8 my remaining memory, and I got 2 GB of it on this machine!
9
10 My question is what can I do about this... Is there a way to cap the
11 amount of memory accessible to Mathematica? Is it possible to put a quota
12 on the memory usage by a user running Mathematica? Is there ANYTHING you
13 can think of that might help me keep Mathematica in a cage? I mean, I am
14 ok with it using 500MB of my RAM, but I can't let it go for the whole 2GB!
15
16 Please help. I seriously doubt Wolfram Research would be of any help
17 because obviously they made Mathematica this way...
18
19 Thanks.
20
21 Denis