From: Markos Chandras <hwoarang@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Building against /usr/src/linux and linux-info.eclass
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2013 21:25:59
1 On 21 February 2013 18:49, Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Thu, Feb 21, 2013 at 1:42 PM, Anthony G. Basile
3 > <basile@××××××××××××××.edu> wrote:
4 >> Hi everyone,
5 >>
6 >> This issue has come up in a few bugs so I want to bounce it off the
7 >> community. When building packages that need a configured kernel source
8 >> tree, many ebuilds inherit linux-info to find configuration info about the
9 >> kernel. However, there is the running kernel with its configuration
10 >> (/proc/config.gz if it exists), there is the kernel source tree
11 >> (/usr/src/linux if it exists and is configured) and both of these can be of
12 >> a different version than linux-headers. Since building modules consumes
13 >> headers from /usr/include/linux, but uses code from /usr/src/linux and then
14 >> these modules are expected to insmod against the running kernel, all of
15 >> which can be mismatched, we have a lot of room for breakage. Eg. bug
16 >> #458014.
17 >>
18 >> Any ideas about how to deal cleanly with situations like that?
21 > I'm no expert, but I always thought that modules are supposed to
22 > consume headers from the kernel source directory, not from
23 > /usr/include/linux.
24 >
25 > As well, the modules should be installed for whatever kernel version
26 > is present in /usr/src/linux (or KERNEL_DIR. This may be distinct from
27 > the currently running kernel.
28 >
29 > I think the headers in /usr/include/linux are there for building
30 > userspace programs, which would utilize the more stable userspace <->
31 > kernel API.
34 Yes, I think this is the case as well. I am not sure if modules use
35 the headers in /usr/include/linux. It feel wrong to me
38 Regards,
39 Markos Chandras - Gentoo Linux Developer
40 http://dev.gentoo.org/~hwoarang