From: Fabio Rossi <rossi.f@××××××.it>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] reorganization of /var/lib gentoo-related files
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2008 11:04:11
1 On Wednesday 31 December 2008, Marius Mauch wrote:
2
3 > The same could be said about /var/lib/init.d, /var/lib/dhcp,
4 > /var/lib/iptables or several other packages that aren't hosted by
5 > Gentoo. In the other direction, if the packages are eventually used on
6 > other distributions/systems, should they then use another path?
7
8 The path could be configured of course but, again, I see a few chances of
9 having this tools outside gentoo, the proposal is based also on this idea.
10
11 > Mind that this only addresses the FHS part of my mail, you haven't
12 > really answered my question: What's the benefit of changing things?
13 > Change for the sake of change is rarely a good idea (unless you work in
14 > PR/marketing ;)
15
16 The main benefit is a cleaner filesystem, I don't know your opinion but I hate
17 to see sparse files around the tree and waste time in discovering their
18 source :-) Moreover IMHO it gives me the impression of a better design.
19
20 > > In the opposite direction, in according to your opinion, I don't see
21 > > a reason to have /var/lib/gentoo/news instead of something
22 > > like /var/lib/gentoo-news.
23 >
24 > Right. But retroactively changing GLEP 42 and all affected packages is
25 > a bit much just to avoid a generic "gentoo" directory.
26
27 So we can exploit this condition to collect all gentoo related files inside
28 this dir ;-)
29
30 Fabio