From: Johannes Findeisen <you@×××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] emerge --clean error [small summary]
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 05:35:16
1 hello gentoo devs,
2
3 i have found some problems in the --clean function of portage.
4
5 [1] when i do the following:
6
7 #emerge -c pam-login
8
9 i can't login after this anymore. i have fixed it with connecting to my server
10 through ssh and do
11
12 #emerge pam-login
13
14 after that everything works fine again, but what do people with only one pc
15 do?
16
17 [2] when i do:
18
19 #emerge -c apache
20 #emerge -c samba
21
22 i can't start them anymore because some binaries in:
23 /usr/sbin/
24 was missing (apache, smbd and nmbd).
25
26 [3] when i do:
27
28 kern1 root # emerge -pc java-config
29
30 >>> These are the packages that I would unmerge:
31
32 dev-java/java-config
33 selected: 0.2.4-r1
34 protected: 0.2.4
35 omitted: none
36
37 >>> Packages in red are slated for removal.
38 >>> Packages in green will not be removed.
39
40 you can see, that portage wants to unmerge the -r1 version, although it is the
41 newest version? when i do:
42 #emerge -c java-config
43 #emerge -pu world
44
45 it lists me java-config-0.2.4-r1 for updating again.
46
47 i got the same problem with some other apps too (apache i think). i have done:
48 #emerge -C apache
49 #emerge apache
50 to get the newest version running. i know, that this is not the solution
51 because some apps needs older libs etc. i do this only with apps like samba
52 or apache where i know, that i can emerge the newest version and everything
53 works fine again.
54
55 for me it's not a problem because i'm working very carefull with the emerge -c
56 function since my production server was totally shot down after i have run
57 emerge -c
58
59 i know now that this is not a stable function, so i do:
60 #emerge -pc foopackage
61 #emerge -c foopackage
62 and i'm making a list of all packages i've unmerged on a sheet of paper on my
63 desktop. a can then remerge a package when some things are working not right.
64
65 i know, that some parts of this has been posted allready. i do this because i
66 don't need help, but find a solution for this.
67
68 i'll submit this as a bug to bugs.gentoo.org in the next days because i want
69 to test the things that happend one more this weekend. reports of it will
70 follow here...
71
72 regards
73 hanez ... ;-)
76 begin .signature
77 This is a .signature virus! Please copy me into your .signature!
79 end