From: AGottinger@t-online.de (Achim Gottinger)
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] DNS not working except as root
Date: Sat, 12 May 2001 05:48:29
1 Collins Richey wrote:
2 >
3 > Unfortunately you don't have enough doc anywhere for me to puzzle
4 > this out on my own. I can find no logs with errors related to this.
5 >
6 > A normal user is denied access to DNS requests, which means that you
7 > can only gain internet access with specific ip addresses.
8 >
9 > Where are the controls for permitting DNS requests?
10 >
11 > This is a repeat, but this should be really basic.
12
13 Collins, this is the final fix I think, after I did a full build test
14 here I had exactly the same problems you had.
15 DNS did not work here because my /etc/resolv.conf file had a 600
16 permission. I changed that to 644 and then it worked.
17 I hope this solution works for you too.
18
19 bye achim~
22 > Thanks,
23 > Collins Richey