From: Stuart Krivis <stuart@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] suggestion for FAQ
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 06:46:44
1 I've heard a number of people mention Gentoo and took a look at the web
2 site. The FAQ covers most things, but I did have some questions that might
3 be frequently asked.
4
5 Since I currently use Debian, and also have to use Red Hat, I have some
6 experience with their packaging systems.
7
8 Some software is only available in rpms or possibly debs. And some is
9 binary-only but in a tarball. I suspect binary-only applies mostly to
10 commercial software.
11
12 My question would be: How does Gentoo handle other package formats? Is
13 there a method for using rpms or debs? How close is Gentoo to other
14 distros in terms of installing something like Kylix?
15
16 Debian has alien and that works well enough that I am able to install and
17 run Applixware 5.
18
19 It isn't a _huge_ issue. I'm obviously already running a distro that is
20 not mainstream (ie Red Hat).
24 Stuart
29 Stuart Krivis stuart@××××××.com
32 Fourth law of programming:
33 Anything that can go wrong wi
34 sendmail: segmentation violation - core dumped