From: Maciej Mrozowski <reavertm@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Over using preserve_old_lib, don't do that
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2010 13:57:14
1 On Thursday 15 of July 2010 12:14:29 Duncan wrote:
2 > Gilles Dartiguelongue posted on Thu, 15 Jul 2010 11:09:39 +0200 as
3 >
4 > excerpted:
5 > > Le jeudi 15 juillet 2010 à 09:49 +0100, Mike Auty a écrit : [...]
6 > >
7 > >> I can live with this for in places where it causes massive breakage
8 > >> (openssl/libpng/libjpg), because it's genuinely useful, but I think it
9 > >> should be restricted to such important packages, or at least disabled
10 > >> by FEATURES="-preserve-libs".
11 > >>
12 > >> Ideally, these calls should either adhere to FEATURES="-preserve-libs",
13 > >> or there should be a tool that can identify which files portage has
14 > >> preserved, and allow easy rebuilding of dependent packages, and
15 > >> removal.
16 > >>
17 > >> At the moment, I'm having to manually grep ebuilds, ls the libraries
18 > >>
19 > >> and run revdep-rebuild over them one at a time...
20 > >
21 > > These sound like very good ideas to me.
22 >
23 > ++
24 >
25 > If I have FEATURE=-preserve-libs, that's what I want. Exceptions should
26 > be limited to what will break the toolchain (including revdep-rebuild
27 > here, since that's what's normally used to get out of the situation)
28 > itself.
29 >
30 > If there was a way to handle it so a general revdep-rebuild run would
31 > still detect the preserved library as missing and do the necessary
32 > rebuilds, it'd be one thing, but if the libraries are there, it figures
33 > things are OK unless you've fed it that specific library, thereby making a
34 > general revdep-rebuld run useless at the very task it was designed to fix.
35 >
36 > Talking about which... What about creating an eutils (or whatever)
37 > function to handle the critical preservations, having it build a
38 > centralized list of them somewhere, and having a revdep-rebuild mode that
39 > will treat that list as if it had been fed in with --library on the
40 > command line? Make revdep-rebuild able to run this mode either on its
41 > own, or as part of an otherwise general run, and then you can have
42 > packages (or the package-manager itself, if it uses the list as well)
43 > preserve libs as they wish, without interfering with the ability of revdep-
44 > rebuild to detect and resolve the issues in a normal run.
45
46 And what about using portage 2.2 and be done with it. I don't see the point in
47 reinventing the wheel yet again.
48
49 Imho, revdep-rebuild and all 'misc' tools requiring users' good will like
50 python-updater should be obsolete and phased out in favour of package manager
51 controlled mechanisms.
54 regards
55 MM