From: "Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto" <jmbsvicetto@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Introducing the Proctors - Draft Code of Conduct for Gentoo
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 15:09:04
1 Hi.
2
3 Christel Dahlskjaer wrote:
4 > Hiya all,
5 >
6 > As some of you are already aware, I was at the last Council meeting
7 > given a Task. This Task was to draft a proposed Code of Conduct for
8 > Gentoo, and a scheme for enforcing it. The current version of this
9 > proposal can be found at http://dev.gentoo.org/~christel/coc.xml
10 > comments and suggestions both on- and off-list are appreciated.
11 >
12 > Any input will have to be received by Thursday, 15 March, 1200GMT in
13 > order to be useful; the Council will be voting on it later that day at
14 > 2100UTC.
15 >
16 > I would like to thank a few people for their help in getting it to this
17 > stage: the council for review, spb for translating Christelsk into
18 > English (with the help of the OED), nightmorph for making it look
19 > prettier than plain text in vim (without a fancy colourscheme), and
20 > marienz for being sane and reading it over.
21 >
22 > I'd also like to thank our Infrastructure team for working with us and
23 > answering questions regarding the mechanics of enforcing such a code.
24 >
25 > Christelx
28 As others have already said, thank you for doing this work. I'm glad to
29 see we're determined to improve communication within Gentoo. However, I
30 also think that 3 days is not enough time for this discussion. This
31 isn't a technical discussion, but it is in no way less important than
32 the discussion about PMS. I only reference that discussion as a
33 currently ongoing discussion that I feel can have the same level of
34 impact as this discussion.
35
36 I agree that we need a code of conduct that applies to both developers
37 and users. Furthermore, I also agree developers have additional
38 responsibilities.
39 In my view, there's one important penalty missing from this code of
40 conduct. Actually, the most important penalty - as a last measure, all
41 input from a person to the project will be denied. What I mean is that
42 for worst offenders, Gentoo must be ready to deny any contribution.
43 As I see it, this proposed code penalties for developers start by
44 warnings, go to temporary bans from specific communication channels,
45 include removal of bugzilla or commit privileges, include dev status
46 suspension and as a last resort the removal of dev status. As I see it
47 the proposed penalties for users include warnings, suspensions from
48 specific communication channels and as a last resort a ban from gentoo
49 communication channels. I don't see any reference stating that we won't
50 accept any input from banned users. I believe that the greatest reward
51 anyone can have to participate in Gentoo is getting credit for work done
52 on Gentoo. As such, as a last measure, we must be ready to deny such
53 contribution from banned users - even if done through another person.
54 To be clear, I'm not suggesting we should, or for that matter can, force
55 every member of the community to turn his back to bad user XYZ. What I'm
56 proposing is that we don't accept any work from XYZ through any of our
57 users or devs. It's every developer and user choice to decide whether or
58 not they'll keep interacting with user XYZ outside of our channels, but
59 it's a Gentoo decision to not accept work credited to XYZ.
62 Jorge Vicetto (jmbsvicetto) - jmbsvicetto at gentoo dot org
63 Gentoo-forums / Userrel
66 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list