From: "Anthony G. Basile" <basile@××××××××××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] toolchain.eclass: need to revert fixincludes commit
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2015 19:52:50
1 On 02/02/15 19:06, vivo75@×××××.com wrote:
2 > Il 02/02/2015 23:30, Pacho Ramos ha scritto:
3 >> El sáb, 31-01-2015 a las 16:48 -0500, Anthony G. Basile escribió:
4 >>> Hi everyone,
5 >>>
6 >>> We need to revert the following change to toolchain.eclass:
7 >>>
8 >>> http://sources.gentoo.org/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/gentoo-x86/eclass/toolchain.eclass?r1=1.647&r2=1.648
9 >>>
10 >>> It turns out that bsd and prefix need fixincludes while building gcc
11 >>> itself, so disabling their build will make gcc unbuildable on those
12 >>> systems. Only after gcc is built can you dump them. I did test on many
13 >>> exotic systems, but did not look at gentoo/fbsd.
14 >>>
15 >>> See bug #536878. Thanks Ryan and Fabian.
16 >>>
17 >>> I'll revert after feedback.
18 >>>
19 >> Please remember to add a comment to the eclass with the reference to not
20 >> forget in the future why fixincludes stuff is needed ;)
23 > fixincludes only on prefix and bsd is doable/acceptable?
26 @pacho. absolutely. part of the process is me learning the layers of
27 history there. its not like the code is hard to read, its just "why was
28 this done?".
29
30 @vivo75. the fixedincludes are removed after compiling, so they don't
31 make it to $ROOT during qmerge either for linux or bsd/prefix. Its just
32 that are needed during compiling for fbsd/prefix. So a straight revert
33 is fine. We need to explain this in a comment in case some "clever"
34 future dev doesn't comes to the same erroneous conclusion, that its okay
35 to just disable their build.
38 Anthony G. Basile, Ph. D.
39 Chair of Information Technology
40 D'Youville College