From: hasufell <hasufell@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] [epatch_user] Proposal: add possibility to tolerable-fail for some patches (plus add groupping support)
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2014 10:04:43
In Reply to: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] [epatch_user] Proposal: add possibility to tolerable-fail for some patches (plus add groupping support) by "Vadim A. Misbakh-Soloviov"
1 Vadim A. Misbakh-Soloviov:
2 > My idea is to allow failing for some patches without breaking build at all. And, in parallel, to
3 > add groupping.
4 >
5 > How I imagine that:
6 >
7 > etc/portage/patches/app-cat/<name>/
8 > |
9 > | - group_name/
10 > | |
11 > | |- 01_foo.patch
12 > | |- 02_bar.patch
13 > | |- <...>
14 > |
15 > |- 01_moo.patch
16 > |- 99_meow.patch
17 >
18 > Where every first-level piece (patch or group) in ```etc/portage/patches/app-cat/<name>/``` MAY
19 > tolerably fail (not causing "die" for emerge), but if one of the patches inside the group fails, then
20 > group MUST NOT be applied at all (and all previously applied patches from this group MUST be
21 > reversed).
24 > Any objections/approvals/suggestions?
29 How does epatch know if I want a patch to cause "|| die" or not?
30
31 The only use case I see here is "don't want to clean up old patches".